Fall and Spring # 8670
Seniors have the opportunity to work with a professional in their desired career. Placement location and logistics are handled by instructor, but are driven by student interests and suggestions.
High School students spend a semester with a professional in business organizations, government agencies, educational institutions, medical profession, law offices and courts, community agencies, or other areas. Interns spend 5-15 hours a week at their internship site completing work assignments, attending meetings and developing special projects requested by the sponsor. Students make contributions to the organization while achieving personal, academic, and career growth.
What does Executive Internship offer?
- Students will display attitudes necessary for achieving personal and academic success.
- Students will demonstrate attitudes, skills, and strategies necessary for achieving workplace success.
- Students will use teamwork skills to accomplish goals, solve problems, and manage conflict within groups.
- Students will communicate effectively and comprehend oral and written communication.
- Students will demonstrate job seeking skills and exhibit employability characteristics required for employability and job retention in the workplace.
- Students will adapt to the requirements of specific business or industry employability and job retention in the workplace.
- Students will demonstrate leadership, citizenship, and teamwork skills required for success in the school, community, and workplace.
- Students will integrate multiple roles and responsibilities in school, family, work, and community settings.
- Students will perform basic PC operations and file management using appropriate software.
Benefits of the Executive Internship at C E C:
- “Try on” a career of your interest.
- Network with professionals in a career field
- Learn workplace skills- teamwork, time management
- Boost your resume
Possible career choices in Executive Internship include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Aerobics Instructor
- Athletic Training
- Automotive Tech
- Business Management
- Computer Applications
- Construction Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary/Food Service
- Customer Service
- Dental Assistant
- Film Production
- Graphic Design
- Human Services
- Law Enforcement
- Multimedia Design
- Performing Arts
- Political Science
- Sales and Marketing
- TV Production
Executive Internship Testimonials
“I have personally improved my social, business, and initiative skills through the Executive Internship Program. I have learned that the business environment is on a whole new level, and each and every business decision involves money, risk, understanding and patience.”
“Through the Executive Internship experience I learned that this is what I want from life. I cannot imagine myself working in a facility other than the Oncology Unit of a Hospital. For a long time, I called this my passion, something I would pursue after high school, but now that I’ve had this experience I can now truly call it my passion. All I want to do for the rest of my life is help those who are in need by showing them compassion, and giving them the best care I can give.”
The Executive Internship has helped me realize how life is in the “real world.” It has taught me to be responsible and reliable. It also taught me how important it is to do your work correctly because people rely on you.”
The Executive Internship Program has allowed me to experience what my life would be like in the career field I am interested in, has given me an amazing educational opportunity, and has let me be involved in a work atmosphere that I am very interested in.”
“The thoughts I first had about my internship are still true, but I have so much more appreciation for what it takes to make my vision as an event planner a reality”.
“Overall I think that I really like nursing and I really want to be a nurse. I have learned a lot at St. Joseph’s Hospital and I can really see myself being a nurse. All of the time I have spent at the hospital has taught me a lot. I can’t wait to go to college and start taking classes for nursing”.
“The internship has helped me get a better understanding of the literary business. Having the knowledge from this experience will help me submit my work more effectively and help me evaluate my own work so my best writing will be submitted. It has also taught me the importance of agents and I will be sure to get representation in my future career”.
“I really had a great time at my internship, and I can really say that I do plan to continue with my plans of becoming an architect, and I have the team at Zocalo Community Development to thank for that because they really pushed me, and helped me through my internship. I enjoyed all the hands on projects that were given to me by my sponsor. The projects really helped me understand even more what Architecture really is, and that to me is the biggest reward of doing an internship.”
Credits Per Semester: 5-15 Elective
Course Certifications Available:
Career Readiness Certification
For additional Information:
Contact Ms. Wilson at: 720.423-6648 or Kelly_Wilson@dpsk12.org
Talk to your Counselor or call Dan DePinto, CEC counselor at 720-423-6681 to enroll.