07835 Fall: CTE Principles of Biomedical Science
01750 Spring: CTE CEC Human Body Systems
Fall/Spring a.m.: Human Body Systems
Fall/Spring p.m.: Principals of Biomedical Sciences
Imagine entering your classroom and walking right into a crime scene. Ana Garcia (a fictional character, played willingly by a mannequin) is lying on the floor—deceased—with police tape securing the scene and an unsolved mystery awaiting you and your classmates. How did Ana die? Was it diabetes, a violent crime, complications from a genetic disease or any number of other fatal conditions? Only by a thorough and methodical investigation, can you solve her death.
By learning and using hands-on, real life lab research techniques you will examine Ana’s body systems and blood type, use clues to discover possible disease, and isolate bacteria, viruses and DNA. Each of these tests will lead you and your classmates to a determination by the end of the semester as to what caused Ana’s fatality.
And don’t worry, if you want to take the class for additional semesters, Ana will “die” a different way each time, giving you the opportunity to solve the mystery over and over again.
What does the Biomedical Sciences class offer?:
- Enhanced critical thinking
- Learning how to isolate DNA from a crime scene
- Gain advanced laboratory skills
- Participate in crime scene work/forensic investigation
- Learn to take blood pressures and vital signs
- Understand the uses of Electrocardiogram (EKG) tests
- Analyzing bacteria under microscopes
- Understanding human anatomy
Benefits of Biomedical Science class at CEC:
- Career exploration in fields from medicine to forensics, laboratory research, human behavior and wellness
- This class follows one premise throughout the semester—the investigation of the death of Ana Garcia. By working through this one scenario, students are able to analyze a situation from the evaluation stage through investigation to solution, in the same way it would be approached in the real world.
- Acquire the skills of critical thinking, teamwork, project organization and management, and persistence.
Possible Career Choices in Biomedical Sciences:
- Diabetic counselor
- Medical field careers
- Lab technician
- Research and development of pharameceuticals
- Behavioral health
- Biomedical engineering
The Biomedical Sciences class is unlike most others. The structure of following an actual ‘story line’ and ‘event’ over the course of the semester engages students and challenges them to dig deep into the problem as if they were part of a real life investigation.
As they work I love to see when the light bulbs go on. The students have many ‘aha’ moments. It’s this moment of, ‘I get it now…I understand…Oh, I see.’ I love seeing those little light bulbs turn on. And they do. They turn on so often it gives me chills. It’s a good feeling.
Coming in 2016-2017